Saturday 13 September 2014

older varied short poems




LIFEBOAT


A drifting wooden lifeboat flows with the current
under a sun drenched sky. Cast away from stricken
sinking fishing vessel, this old boat has nowhere to go.
No crew, all perished and went to the bottom losing
their precious lives. No one knows why, it seems to be
an act of God but He was kind and spared this ancient
wooden boats’ life. She has peeling paint and her name
is Marie: she is lost on an ocean doomed
to float away forever more.


SHORT BREAK


Here now, stop and look at our speeding lives that don’t seem to stop!
We’ll go for a break to a different town that is strangely familiar
with quiet pubs and narrow sprawling streets.
This town could be any in England except the one called Oldham
which is grimy and so very boring.
Time stops here as we drink beer straight
from the barrel having a laugh on our short break away.




CHOKE POINT


Our roads are at choke point
as traffic descends into gridlock chaos.
Cars, lorries, buses and vans
all bumper to bumper in a traffic
jam ten miles long. This is a vision
of the technological world
in which we live where both man
and machine grind to a halt.



ISLAND


This small island sits just offshore in warm shallow water.
Formed by age-old coral which is as old as time, a small oasis.
Many types of life flourish here from bright birds of paradise
to long deadly sea snakes. On this timeless place nature rules
her own little world where man never ventures
for a sea mist always hides this small place,
never seen twice, an optical illusion.



LET’S GO FISHING


We set out early when the air was cool to go fishing.
Deep within the forest at a river tributary lies
a remote stretch of water. A few hours later
our catch is impressive. I turn my back to eat my lunch
and I hear a scream. An alligator has snatched
my friend with its terrible death grip—
there’s nothing I can do but stare in horror
at the scene before me. Will I be next?
I wish I had my hunting rifle…




FIRE


Fire is so beautiful in its own deadly way.
A diverse visual cacophony of colours
all thrown together, each a different
element back in its base gas. Chemical release.
Thick dense smoke curls upwards,
forming a choking cloud which glows
blood red from the wicked flames.



BURIED ALIVE


I ask God to help me but he isn’t listening.
I’ve been buried alive six feet below ground.
My death will be agonising as I start to suffocate.
How did I get here in this terrible place?
Slowly I remember now, what I did.
I faked my own death to escape from prison
but they didn’t release me. So here I remain
running out of air going slowly insane

dying before my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment