Friday 26 September 2014

MEMORY FISH

MEMORY FISH


I’m a goldfish in a carrier bag, is it a full
one like Sainsbury’s keeping my water safe –  life?
Or a leaky one full of holes like Tescos – death?
Won me at a fair, hit the bull’s eye every time
and made the tight young casual give me a prize.
A real live little goldfish. See the menace
in his eyes match your happy glee.
He drops the dear bag of water on the scuffed counter.
Burst! Water everywhere. Quick! Pick up the fish.
He’s flop, flop, flopping around, fish out of water.
Air not his element. Yes, a carrier bag of water
from the stop tap for the horses.
Water and fish back together – breathing space.
For now. Is that my fish eye deceiving me
or is that water leaking or an optical illusion?
Wasn’t my bag clear? Oh fuck, cant remember,
three second goldfish memory…


No comments:

Post a Comment