Saturday 24 May 2014

Shoki: The Story of Sensei Pete Ratcliff By Nick Armbrister

Shoki: The Story of Sensei Pete Ratcliff
By Nick Armbrister

Sensei Pete: So that’s how Pete would have the immediate edge. Because you’d be ‘Oh look look, I don’t want any trouble.’ They wouldn’t know his skill. ‘Oh look please, no! Don’t.’ They’ll even let you touch them. ‘Don’t shoot me!’ Bang! F***ing gone to sleep. Believe me. ‘Look look I don’t want any trouble!’
Sensei Pete: As he’s barmy you’d get nervous!
Sensei Derek: I’d f***ing put your jaw bone through the top of your head.
Sensei Derek: You’d get more nervous you see as he mithers.
Sensei Derek: But you think look he’s… Bang!
Nick: You think he’s mad but then he’s gonna…
Sensei Derek: Then your f***ing jaw dislocates and your face is gone. You’ve got wires in for the rest of your life.
Nick: You’d be dead man.
Sensei Derek: Yes, close contact with him, if he’s, ‘Oh look look…’
Everyone: Laughs.
Sensei Derek: No but you would, wouldn’t you? I’m just showing you the technique.
Interview 28/02/2013. Sensei Derek also contributed.
Nick: How many Karate clubs have you attended or learnt from?
Sensei Pete: About ten.
Nick: How many clubs have you instructed at, including this one?
Sensei Pete: I’ve owned three clubs that are my own.
Nick: And that obviously you would have instructed at. Is that including this one?
Sensei Pete: Yes, that’s including this one. I’ve had three clubs of my own and have instructed, must be, over hundred in the past. I’m currently going to different clubs now showing them different techniques, how to do it the best way and stuff.
Nick: How many would that be roughly?
Sensei Pete: Could be five or six.
Nick: What was the first club you attended?
Sensei Pete: It was a guy I knew. No. It was a guy that knew my sister who was married. It was a guy that my sister’s husband was friends with. I can’t remember the name of the club. I’d just got interested. The first proper club was the Shotokan Club in Greenacres.
Nick: Is that where you attended?
Sensei Pete: I attended there.
Nick: What age were you then at that club?
Sensei Pete: Five or six.

No comments:

Post a Comment