Sunday 21 April 2013

poems from my new book wrote with Mel Grobler

poems from my new book wrote with Mel Grobler

RANTINGS OF A DAMAGED MIND

is Nick Armbrister's new poetry book jointly written with poetess Mel Grobler. Poetry includes light and dark work covering human emotions and relationships, the death of a northern town and mental health issues to name a few topics. Make up your own minds on this hard hitting and memorable book of modern poetry for modern people.

Poetry is a form of expression. From simple topics to complicated ones, all are here. From Nick's work about England and his life to Mel Grobler's touching poetry from half a world away (South Africa), this is a book with a difference. The cover art by tattooist Ginny (The Inkpot Tattoos, Oldham) adds to that. This is for everyone who has felt love, rage, hope and frustration. It's about the human journey of life, told by two writers who are at opposite ends of the earth. Nick and Mel met online and became close friends. They both share a passion for poetry and writing about their views and life experiences. Each has a unique style and understanding of the world in their writing. The result is here, a collection of memorable poetry. Easy to read and understand yet long lasting and subtly different than other contemporary poetry. Through these pages you enter their world.

It's August... (by Mel)
Its August
When the wind blows
My hair, my smile off my face, my eyes full of sand
And my dress comes flying over my head,
I stand
In the middle of the race
Of dust coming from all over the place.
Its Misery
When the wind knocks
On the door, opens it without invitation
And enters without hesitation
My mood overflows with desperation
My mind with determination
To stop this irritation
This never-ending, awful sensation-
This winds illustration
Of my worst humiliation
Its motivation to tear me apart
It pulls at me, but then pushes me away,
Again!
Its gladness
When he finally leaves
This unwelcome guest, to tease
Yet another until
She's driven to madness too.

Its surprise
When he returns once more
And rushes out to deform a helpless tree
Whatever can the reason
For such, strange behaviour be?
Like a child he throws a tantrum,
But what can one do?
To please this friendless wind?
And comfort it too?
Its peace when he eventually ceases
To anger me.
"Take me or leave"
He softly whispers through
The leaves in the trees,
As he slowly leaves
I can breathe once again.
Its regret
That fills my heart
What can I ever miss about
That spiteful one that grabs and rips you
Apart?
Its sadness
That fills my soul
My agitated friend is gone
And I am, once again,
Alone!



Land

All over this land there are people and families living.

Guys and gals living how they do.

Adding to the history of our nation.

In towns and villages, by the coast in small harbours and on isolated islands.

Young and old, happy and sad.

See them in their lives, so many past memories and future dreams.

We are them, they are us.

Some are parents, others kids doing what kids do.

Adults work to support their families, coal miners and soldiers, waitresses and bar girls.

Our country, home to so many people.

Shaped by war and forged in battle.

A third of the world was our empire.

Empire people settled here as decades pass.

Pages add to the story of England.

Day by day, dawn becoming dusk.

What will tomorrow bring for us all.

Joyous family life or perilous battle abroad?

Will you take a summer day trip to Chester or a winter holiday in Durham?

England here for us all to see.

So much to see and do.

You add to our history in your own way.

Long

Everyone's waiting

for the next big thing.

It doesn't have to be big,

as long as it's good...

Bad

On our coach on a fun day out.

Saw a lorry on its side.


Bad.


A car was underneath it.

Were people in it?


Yes.


Two dead.

Our day turned sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment