Friday 21 February 2014

Together


Together

 

For Christmas she got me a small present that she said I’d like.

She told me about the present, my present. I remember only bits

now and I have only hazy memories of how it made me feel,

an empty shell of what held all the potential fun. All this in a small gift

wrapped in a single mauve ribbon.

A secret burst forth, here in this box was the secret to stop

all the wars and conflicts with man, human kind – international and personal.

All I had to do was to open it at midnight plus one on Christmas day.

But I have a confession to make. Instead of meeting God and being a saviour

of the world, I blew it. I lost the present on the way home,

where I don’t know. I had three too many beers and now I feel bad.

I lost my present on the way, our present. I know I’ll never find it.

Was it like a dream? Yes. Did I blow it all? To save ourselves and our world?

Was I a potential new messiah? Fate was kind to me, I never wanted the hassle

or responsibility. So we have to be careful. Don’t bring the red button

anywhere near me… we do it the real way, together.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment