Thursday 7 July 2016

THE CAT WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD




THE CAT WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD
I'm glad I'm a tabby, says Jenny the cat,                                                                                                                      
White paws and shirt front, perhaps a bit fat.                                                                                                                                
Black and white is alright, like my sister and brother.                                                                                           
I took after dad, they looked like our mother.
Born in a tea chest with rain leaking in,                                                                                                                        
Huddled together with odd scraps from a tin.                                                                                                             
I had a poor start, life wasn't easy,                                                                                            
Living around dustbins, all pretty sleazy.
Then I caught a chill and wasn't too well.                                                                                                             
I lay around shivering and finally fell,                                                                                                                                                                                                                      
Into a corner, curled up by the door.                                                                                                           
And there I was found in a heap on the floor.
I was put in a box and began to feel warm,                                                                                                      
Though I was frightened, I tried to stay calm.                                                                                                                   
My head was stroked gently and wrapped in a rug.                                                                                                                                   
For the first time in my life, at least I was snug.
I've never looked back since that time long ago,                                                                                                      
Fifteen years have gone by and I've come to know,                                                                                                                    
That life can be good for a poor little stray.                                                                                                                       
Just to be sure that you fall at the right doorway.
JMS

No comments:

Post a Comment